Monday, November 23, 2009

Uncommon Kindness


One of my beautiful friends made a comment that got me thinking about the common mindset. Do we as a society really believe that kindness is uncommon? Do we view helping others as more of a burden than a blessing? Susan Gregg, of the Angels on Your Shoulders blog, recently posted two videos about ordinary people doing extraordinary things all in the name of kindness and helping others and I think the common perspective is to immediately assume that these kind acts are rare. With these types of news stories, you always hear the reporter ask, “Why do you do what you do?” as if they are in shock that someone would be so generous. I know when someone is kind to me I don’t ask what their motive is or why they are being so charitable. What is this need to question someone’s good will as if they have some ulterior sinister motive for showing compassion? That makes no sense to me. I have discovered the kindness of strangers has been a real blessing in my life; people are great if you let them be great.

Since generosity isn’t often reported in the news, and when it does it comes across as some special news alert like a hurricane warning, I can understand the perspective that kindness seems to be uncommon. But if you stop and look kindness is actually more prevalent than it seems. Have you noticed the people who are making food for others in your city or the neighbors who are paying someone’s bills? Have you seen the programs where people are remodeling or repairing homes for others? And there are also the people who offer to hold the door open for another or send someone else a friendly smile. Even the smallest of kind acts matter. Have you noticed the kind things you do? A few years ago I was driving down the road and noticed an elderly man with a cane and a grocery bag walking on the side of the road. There was something about the way he was walking which led me to believe he was too tired to continue on his way so I drove down a bit, turned my car around and asked him if he wanted a ride. He gratefully accepted and I took him home. I didn’t expect anything for what I thought was just taking care of my fellow human being however his sincere “thank you” filled my heart with so much joy I felt like I had just won a grand prize. Before stopping, I noticed everyone else just passing him by and it’s not that they were being unkind; it’s just that they didn’t notice. I wholeheartedly believe that stopping and noticing whatever it is that is going on around you is essential in understanding where kindness needs to be spread. Whatever you choose to do next is your choice. What type of world are you choosing to live in?

Upon waking every morning, what if we chose to think about one way to make someone else’s day better; to partake in one random act of kindness? Oh my God, what an unbelievable thing to imagine! How ridiculous! Actually with a little change of perspective, I believe it to be quite believable.

Thank you for taking the time to read this; that was very kind of you! =-)

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." ~William Penn

No comments:

Post a Comment