Friday, November 20, 2009

Thankful For Not What But Who


That time of year is coming up where it is custom to stop and reflect upon what we are thankful for in our lives. Although I make a habit of continually thinking about what I’m grateful for at the end of each day, I contend celebrating a day of gratitude is better than not doing it at all. A wonderful activity I have done with students is making a Gratitude Tree. Writing what you are thankful for on the leaves and then hanging them up on the tree is a beneficial experience because the process involves reflection, awareness, manifestation, and celebration.

This year has definitely been a rollercoaster, as life is. In the ascension, I’ve experienced much love, joy, and happiness. On the way down, I’ve also experienced many losses, mistakes and heartache. Being grateful for the good seems to be easier than the not so good. In the latter, I have looked at what has not gone well as opportunities to learn and grow and of course to keep believing which only serves to strengthen my faith.

As I continue to develop emotionally and spiritually, my perspective on gratitude changes. Material success is great but money cannot buy everything including happiness. If anything, I believe money should serve you by adding to your already happy state; it should not be the basis for happiness. Although I’m thankful for the material things I have acquired over the year, I am more thankful for the new friendships I’ve made. I’m happy to be reconnected to old friends and for having spent some precious quality time with my family and friends. I’m thankful for time spent with my pets. (My cat actually just passed on a few days ago.) I’m excited about having helped those in need. I’m indebted with the fabulous surprises unexpected people provided me. I’m thrilled about the people I have yet to meet. I believe having all the success in the world is worthless if you have no one to share it with. I look at who is in my life and I feel I have succeeded thus far. So it goes to say, when contemplating my success, I don’t look at what I have in my life, I look at who I have in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment