Tuesday, December 14, 2010

12 Heart Tugging Holiday Movie Moments

Tis the season of giving and devoting quality time to family and friends. In these moments of merriment we gather to share fond memories of the past and sometimes reveal our hopes of the future. The holidays can be stressful, especially with large family gatherings, however a shared bond can be found in movies. Everyone has at least one favorite holiday movie. These types of movies hold a special place in everyone’s memory because holiday movies tend to evoke the best in us since they showcase the best in humanity by the end of the movie.

The following movies either made me laugh, cry, or laugh until I cried. They are movies I remember with fondness and watch at least once between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day. In no particular order of favoritism, I share these twelve heart tugging holiday movie quotes, scenes, and moments with you.

Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)

Scene: Driving on the wrong side of the highway...




It’s A Wonderful Life (1946)

Harry Bailey: “A toast to my big brother George: The richest man in town.”

Zuzu Bailey: “Look, Daddy. Teacher says, every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings.”

Clarence: [Inscribed in a copy of Tom Sawyer] "Dear George, remember no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings, Love Clarence."

Scene: The last scenes of the movie...




How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (TV 1966)


Narrator: “He puzzled and puzzled till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before! Maybe Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas... perhaps... means a little bit more!” 

Narrator: “And what happened then? Well, in Whoville they say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day. And then - the true meaning of Christmas came through, and the Grinch found the strength of *ten* Grinches, plus two!”



Scrooged (1988)


Frank Cross: “It's Christmas Eve! It's... it's the one night of the year when we all act a little nicer, we... we... we smile a little easier, we... w-w-we... we... we cheer a little more. For a couple of hours out of the whole year, we are the people that we always hoped we would be!”




Doctor Marcia Fieldstone: “Tell me what was so special about your wife?” 

Sam Baldwin: “Well, how long is your program? Well, it was a million tiny little things that, when you added them all up, they meant we were supposed to be together... and I knew it. I knew it the very first time I touched her. It was like coming home... only to no home I'd ever known... I was just taking her hand to help her out of a car and I knew. It was like... magic.”

Scene: Sam talking about his deceased wife...




Home Alone (1990) and Home Alone 2 (1992)

Scene: Marv and the tarantula from Home Alone...


Scene: Marv gets electrocuted in Home Alone 2...






Kris Kringle: “Oh, Christmas isn't just a day, it's a frame of mind... and that's what's been changing. That's why I'm glad I'm here, maybe I can do something about it.”

Fred Gailey: “Look Doris, someday you're going to find that your way of facing this realistic world just doesn't work. And when you do, don't overlook those lovely intangibles. You'll discover those are the only things that are worthwhile.”

Doris: “Faith is believing when common sense tells you not to. Don't you see? It's not just Kris that's on trial, it's everything he stands for. It's kindness and joy and love and all the other intangibles.”

Susan: I believe... I believe... It's silly, but I believe.




Eddie: “You surprised to see us, Clark?”

Clark: “Oh, Eddie... If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am now.”

Scene: Trailer...




Love Actually (2003) 

Prime Minister: Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often, it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know, none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion... love actually is all around.

Scene: Love scenes...





Lucy Van Pelt: “You DO think I'm beautiful, don't you, Charlie Brown?”

[pause]

Lucy Van Pelt: “You didn't answer me right away. You had to think about it first, didn't you? If you really had thought I was beautiful, you would've spoken right up. I know when I've been insulted. I KNOW WHEN I'VE BEEN INSULTED.”

Charlie Brown: “Good grief.”

Scene: Linus tells us the real meaning of Christmas...




A Christmas Story (1983)

Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! 
Mrs. Parker: No, you'll shoot your eye out.
****
Mr. Parker: Fra-gee-lay. That must be Italian. 
Mrs. Parker: Uh, I think that says FRAGILE, dear.
Mr. Parker: Oh, yeah.

Scene: Trailer...




What are your favorite holiday movie moments?





Thank you for reading! If you have a story/message that you would like to share and it fits into the topics on Always Believe, please email us. Guest Writers are always welcome!

Do you like feeling good? Please subscribe to the free RSS feed so you don’t miss any inspiration. Thank you! =-)

“Like the body, the soul must also be nourished daily.”



Please share a link to your blog or your last post with your comment or enter it here:

9 comments:

  1. My kids like Elf and the new version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas with Jim Carrey. I like Miracle on 34th and my husband likes Die Hard which he says IS a Christmas movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sleepless in Seattle and Love Actually...2 great ones!! Love them both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Vegas Vacation, Family Stone, and Home for the Holidays. I can relate to the family craziness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to see Miracle on 34th Street! I'm still hoping they'll play it on TV one year. Our family favourite is Polar Express. Hubby acts the part of the conductor and we all slurp hot chocolate. We are looking forward to sharing the movie with our youngest this year... he just LOVES trains and is nearly three. We think he will LOVE Polar Express.
    We also love to watch "Lion Witch and the Wardrobe" and "The Snowman" (animated, no words just music)
    This year Grandma will also be ontroduced to Kiwi gal Keisha Castle Hughes in The Nativity Story. Not a bad version.
    xx
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Actually is my favorite holiday movie. I watch it every Christmas and at least once a summer. Awwww, it's just making me get all mushy just thinking about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got to get these movies out and watch again. I love watching The Sound of Music during the holidays. There are so many great songs, I can't even pick my favorite. The TV station here always plays it on boxing day so its a great way to rest up after the big day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see I have some more movies to watch. Thanks for the comments. =-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! My husband and I watched Charlie Brown Christmas and It's a wonderful Life last weekend. I love those movies!! I think I need to check these others out now too! Stopping by from Lady Bloggers Society!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you CCG! I still have to watch some of these movies myself. Merry Christmas to you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete