Monday, July 26, 2010

What Am I Doing This For?

We do not need to know “how” or “where”, but there is one question that we should all ask whenever we start something: “What am I doing this for?”
~Paulo Coelho

(This is a great free writing exercise to do! I asked myself a lot of what and why questions about the things I wanted to do and found some interesting answers. It provides useful insight and gets rid of any doubt or confusion.)

I have wanted things in my life to change for a long time. I was not happy what I was doing in my career or where I was living. I felt stuck and did not know how to change anything mostly because I did not know what I wanted to do next. I was lost, confused and felt alone and scared. Although I was not sure what I wanted to do next, I was certain I had to take action. I had to take the necessary steps for change to occur. I began to change one thing by leaving my career even though I had no idea what would come after. That decision created a domino effect and spurred forth a momentum of transformation.

The decision to make the change followed by the deliberate action of making a change allowed more opportunities to come into my awareness. In my previous state I was experiencing tunnel vision and could not see past my own circumstances but initiating change allowed me to open up to new possibilities and see beyond the limitations I had set on myself. My new vision ignited old dreams I thought could never be resurrected. I could see an infinite amount of possibilities for myself. I knew that as long as I had breathe in my body I was in an opportune position to do, be, and have anything my heart truly desired.

“There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.” Almost everyone I know, family and friends, hold a perspective that I do not identify with anymore. They are focused on lack, worry, struggle, and survival. Some say they believe but their actions prove otherwise. It is not enough to say you believe. You need to follow that belief in action. When you truly believe, you will be able to stand strong behind that belief even when others try to dissuade you. Your passion will be so strong that no one will doubt your faith. I would like to show them that anything is possible if they would only trust that an unwavering belief in anything creates a certain reality.

I did not have to have all the answers to begin to change things in my life. All I needed was the desire and the courage to take one step toward the direction that made my heart happy. René Descartes famous philosophical statement, “I think therefore I am,” can be revised into, “I believe therefore it’s real.” What is real exists because it is believed so. To the people I know I say, “Look what I created because I believed I could. And do you want to know a secret? You can do it too!”

No comments:

Post a Comment